Having belly fat can make you pretty self-conscious because sometimes that`s the first thing people notice about you. Besides crating problems with your looks, abdominal fat can be the cause of many heart diseases, insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes and even some forms of cancer. Getting rid of it is really important but in the same time it can be very difficult.
There are plenty of exercises out there but these yoga posses have proven to be very effective. Also you must understand that it’s very important to focus on proper nutrition that will give you the right to expect great results. Here we go:
1. Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
This exercise is a great way to strengthen your abdominal muscles which means reducing the belly pooch. It will also strengthen your back and make your spine stronger and more flexible.
- Lie down face to the floor, stretch your legs and place the palm of your hands underneath the shoulders
- Place your chin on the floor with your toes touching the floor
- Inhale slowly and in the same time raise your chest up while bending backwards as much as you can
- Hold this position (the cobra pose) for about 15-30 seconds
- Exhale slowly and in the same time slowly return your body to the prone position
- Relax for 15 seconds and do it all over again for at least 5 times.
Note: It`s not advisable to do this exercise if you have back injury ulcer or hernia.
2. Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
This is one of the best postures that will allow you to strengthen the abdominal core. For the best results rock back and forth while holding the same pose. This motion will wake up your digestive system and give your abdomen a full massage.
- Lie down on your belly with your legs and arms stretched
- Bend the knees, grab your ankles and hold the position
- Inhale, lift your head and legs by banding backward in the same time
- Hold this posture for about 15-30 seconds and don’t forget to breathe normally
- While you exhale slowly bring your body back to the prone position
- Repeat at least 5 times with 15 seconds pause after each repetition
3. Boat Pose (Navasana)
This pose is designed to attack the fat around the waist and in the same time strengthen your abdominal muscles as well as your back and legs.
- Take the supine position on the met with your legs together, arms to your side facing down
- When inhaling start raising your legs and keep them straight (don`t bend your knees)
- Stretch your toes and foot outward and start to raise your legs as high as you can and in the same time reach forward with your arms towards your toes
- It would be ideal to bring your body close to a 45 degree angle
- Hold this position for 15 seconds while breathing normally
- Afterwards slowly exhale and go back to your starting position
- Repeat 5 times with 15 second pause after each repetition
4. Plank (Kumbhakasana)
One of the simplest but most effective poses in yoga that not only will eliminate belly fat but it will strengthen and tone your arms, back, shoulders, buttocks and thighs.
- Position your body with hands just under the shoulders and the knees under the hips
- First, tug your toes under and at one foot at a time step back while extending the leg behind you
- Hold your abdominal muscle in and your neck aligned with the spine so always look slightly ahead when inhaling
- When your body forms a straight line (from head to heels) hold this position for 15-30 seconds
- Release, exhale and in the same time drop your knees to the floor
- Repat at least 5 times with 15 seconds break between each repetition.
Note: If you suffer from back or shoulder injuries, or iif you have high blood pressure, then avoid this exercise.
5. Wind Relieving Pose (Pavanamuktasana)
This pose is for regulating the acid levels in your stomach, for better metabolism, reliving lower back pain and strengthening the abdominal muscles, hips and tights.
- Lie down with your arms beside your body, feet stretched out and heels touching
- On exhalation bend your knees by slowly moving them towards the chest
- When you feel pressure on the abdomen hold the knees by clasping your hands underneath the tights
- Breathe deeply and hold this position for 60-90 seconds
- Exhale slowly and release your knees in the same time. Both of your hands should face palms down on each side of your body
- Repeat 5 times with 15 seconds pause between repetitions.
For better results repeat these posses every morning, 3-5 times every day for 3 days a week.
CAUTION: Not all of these exercises are suitable for everyone especially if you’re pregnant or suffer from some kind of injury. If you feel dizziness, pain or discomfort the best thing to do is to stop. In special cases always consult with your doctor first.